Jalapeno Cheese Grits
- 2 cups grits
- 4 cups water
- 4 cups whole milk
- 12 oz extra sharp cheddar
- ½ stick unsalted butter
- 3 large eggs, well beaten
- 1 green jalapeno
- 1 can diced green chiles
- 2 tbsp Tabasco
- 1 tbsp garlic salt
- Salt/pepper to taste
- Red pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Combined diced jalapeno, green chiles, Tabasco, and garlic salt in a bowl. Mix and set aside.
- Combine water and milk in a large stock pot. Bring to a slow boil.
- Add in grits slowly, mixing well each time. Stir rapidly as grits begin to thicken.
- Remove grits from heat and add in grated cheddar and butter. Mix well.
- Add in spice mixture and mix very well.
- Taste test and add additional garlic salt, salt, red pepper and pepper to taste.
- Beat eggs and pour in, mix very fast.
- Pour and spread grits into a buttered baking dish and bake for 1 hour, partially covered.
- Let cool before serving.