- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1 satsuma
- 1 pound speckled trout filet, cut in half
- Tony’s / black pepper
- 1 cup of flour
- 3/8 cup sliced almonds
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 oz bourbon
- Orange bitters
- 1/8 cup chopped parsley
- In a small saucepan, melt butter over low With vegetable peeler, remove the skin and scrape the pith from the insides. Put the peels in the butter. Squeeze juice into bowl.
- Season the trout on both side with pepper and Tony’s
- Pour flour into shallow bowl and season with pepper and Tony’s too
- Check on butter, with as poon push aside foam and check for brown flecks, should turn golden after 10 minutes, listen for sizzling. Should take 20 minutes total.
- In large skillet, melt 1 tbsp butter and add sliced almonds and garlic. Sautee until golden brown and fragrant, then set aside.
- Add 3 tbsp of oil to same skillet and heat. Press filets into flour mixture on both sides and lower them into hot oil.
- Flip fish when crispy on one side, cook for half the time on the second side.
- If butter is ready, remove peels and add satsuma juice and bourbon. Cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Remove fish from skillet and scrape bits. Add almonds, parsley and 1 tbsp brown butter to skillet. Gentley stir until parsley wilts and butter melts.
- Top filets with almond mixture and more brown butter.