Shrimp & Grits
- 2 cup of stone ground grits
- 1 ½ cups whole milk
- 2 ½ cups water
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 cup (8 oz) shredded white cheddar
- 2 tbsp butter
- 16oz medium-sized shrimp
- 5 slices thick-cut bacon
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 cup chopped scallions
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp butter
- Cut bacon into squares and cook until crispy in a large saucepan. Remove bacon squares but leave in about half the grease.
- Peel, devein, and rinse shrimp. Pat dry, add in spices to marinate shrimp, and mix well.
- Combine water, milk and salt into large pot and bring to a slow boil, add grits about a spoonful at a time, and keep stirring until fully mixed. Continue stirring for an extended amount of time (up to 20-30 minutes) while grits thicken.
- When grits are almost done, add in shredded cheese and butter. Mix well. Add pepper and additional salt to taste. Reduce heat. Stir occasionally.
- Reheat grease and add garlic. Add white wine to deglaze pan. Heat on medium until simmering and reducing.
- Add scallions, bacon squares, lemon juice and butter. Mix well and continue reducing.
- Add shrimp and briefly cook, turning until barely pink.
- Divide grits into four open-face bowls, spoon shrimp into a pile in the middle, pour remaining juice over the shrimp.
- Serve immediately